Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Spring Fever

I wish I could say that a fever is what kept me from updating my blog all this time, but alas, I have not been sick - only busy with work, play and training this spring. Ever since daylight savings, I've been taking advantage of the sunlight and working out in the evenings (instead of the lunch-time spin, etc). Then I go right back to work after dinner and shower. Spring is the busiest time for me in HR - I've launched our summer internship program and so far I've interviewed 45 candidates for our 14 open positions. We're hiring like crazy so I'm training classes of new hires every week it seems. Needless to say, my nights have been quite boring and stressful, but I guess that's what they call job security.

My last post was all about the Monument 10K And my first duathlon. Now all I can think about is Tough Mudder. Even though I still need to prepare for my first open-water
triathlon next month, I can't stop thinking about all the hill training, push ups, pull-ups and monkey-bar training that I need to work on until the race in October. I can't do a pull-up yet but I will! I started a few P90X videos and signed up for a bootcamp class that kicked off this week. It's a lot of plyometrics - my weakest link, but that's exactly what I need to get stronger and better. The instructors are awesome - motivating, tough and fun all at the same time. Looking forward to continuing bootcamp work-outs this summer as well.

But amidst all the training and work, I've also had time to squeeze in a little fun. Now that the weather is nice, John and I have picked up trail running again. Buttermilk is still by far the best trail in Richmond. There are others as I mentioned in a blog post last year, but Buttermilk tops my list. I'm hopeful that trail running will improve my endurance and strength as I prepare for Tough Mudder. We also enjoyed restaurant week and dined at both Amour Wine Bistro and Sam Millers Raw Bar. Amour was a little too quiet and stiff for me, but the food was excellent. The cheese plate for dessert was a good choice. Sam Miller's had excellent crab bisque and surprisingly I chose the chicken entrée with lump white crab on top and Parmesan risotto. It was awesome (and I don't usually choose a chicken entrée for restaurant week).

Cinco de Mayo came and went, but the tequila hangover did not go by as quickly. At least I got to enjoy a mariachi band while I took back my cheap shots of cuervo and margarita.



My other favorite activity that kicks off in the spring is the opening of the
weekly Farmer's Markets. South of the James offers the most vendors and options. My favorite thing to do is to start with a "tako" from Boka Truck. Patrick prepares the best fusion tacos I've ever had in my entire life. It's like eating a little piece of heaven every time. St. Stephen's Farmer's Market is my second favorite. This past weekend, after the Race for the Cure, my roommates and I stopped by the Monument Avenue Market for the first time. I have heard the booths are slim pickin's, but after reading a tweet from RVAFoodie about cookie dough chocolate covered truffles, I had to see it for myself. The truffles were also a little piece of heaven - I can't wait to pick some up as gifts another time.

So that's what I have been up to the past month... What's next? Well, I'm moving out of the fan after nearly 5 years... Very sad to no longer be a fan rat, but excited to take the next big step in my life. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the move! You're going to be very happy living with your boo :) Can't wait to hear about your training for the next tri--good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete